Tuesday 10 July 2018

Finding a new old way

I am sitting on a bench, just off the Camino. Riego de Ambros in the mountainous area before Ponferrada. The bar I knew here is closed and I think about what to do. A car parks next to my bench. Two men step out of it. Right away there is a pleasant conversation. 
Chema and Manuel are waiting for their group of kids, they will walk to Molaniseca, following an old footpath. I'm all ears. We talk about the Camino. Then the group arrives. Chema asks me to walk with them. But first I have to ask the group permission. Which they grant me.

A half overgrown path leads us out of the village. The kids walk fast, they're often out of sight. Chema stops now and then to share about his observations in nature. Soon I am learning that this group of 23, aged from 7 to 17, is on a path, meant to learn about yourself. Full of rituals, and attention for anyone in the group.




It is a beautiful remote valley, and suddenly I miss something. In an impulse I ask the children to be silent and listen. And then... we hear the water of a nearby creek. The wind in the trees. The birds singing abundantly. Chema takes over and lets them walk in silence. 

In the quiet valley we approach an overhanging rock. Turn by turn we stand on it, look around over the green woods and shout our positive message into the deep. Coming from a deep sense of belonging here I don't need to think about my words: 'I am happy and this is what I want'.




Chema tells about the amazing history of this path. It has been used by Celts and Romans, and in the Middle Ages two bridges where built here for the pilgrimage to Santiago and trade. The bishop decided to change the pilgrim way towards where the present Camino is, when the area became to unsafe to travel. The path is steep and dangerous now and then. We don't meet other walkers. 

The path leads to the old church of Molaniseca. We swim in the cold river to cool down from the walk. I ask Chema if I can come along to their camp, in a village in the mountains. First he refuses, later the answer is: ja. So we drive out of town into the mountains. The beautiful old stone house where we stay is in Espinosa de Compludo. 

The next day another amazing walk. Our destiny is the next village, San Cristóbal de Valdueza, where an old templar chapel is, and the tejo milenario, a yew of almost 1250 years old. We meditate under this impressive tree and embrace it together. I felt an ancient presence in these silent moments. 

I tell Chema and Manuel about my work with young people in Holland for the Regenboog. Smiling recognition. Sense of destiny. The children come from all over Spain, and some from abroad. Most of them know each other from a previous camp. Some are with, some without problems or a history. But all, even from the age of 7, have no trouble telling about their feelings. It is amazing how easy they understand themes like 'the inner child', usually only shared by adults. They share rituals, learn their daily sayings, and it's all well organized and disciplined. And they say where it's at, if necessary. One of the assisting youngsters is sent home, he is not really ready for his task yet. 

Deeply grateful I feel for these days filled with joy and love. So as a goodbye ritual I sing the Ave M. for the group. Marco (11): 'Simon, you touched my heart.'




Ave. Aves. Plumas. Destino. 









No comments:

Post a Comment