Friday 12 October 2012

Camino Frances 2012/ Final destination Santiago?

On October 12. I reached Santiago. The gates of the cathedral were closed. I couldn't touch the foot of Jacob, like pilgrims had done centuries before me - how often I had thought how special this moment would be - there was a fence around the statue. I went to the mass and had no place to sit- crowded with tourists.


A nun was singing a beautiful song, she gave me shivers. But it was the only emotion. The cathedral itself felt empty. The priest was murmering in Spanish - no contact. When the priests walked away after the service they didn't make eye contact, not a friendly smile, nothing.
I am not catholic, not religious, yet I expected more from this visit. The next day I tried again. Even more people... I missed the reserved places for peregrinos, would have been a nice gesture from this church. Another service where the priests seemed to speak to...above...not to me. I dreamt away, musing about the many places along the Camino where I did feel contact with the church, the people inside, the statues. Quiet places loaded with a special atmosphere.


But then they started swinging the botafumeiro. And this finally felt better, the whole cathedral seemed relieved. And I felt ready for Finisterre, the real end of the Camino.


No comments:

Post a Comment