Monday 6 September 2021

Who is, what is a true pilgrim?


The cowgirl

"I sold my cattle and just came here", the woman tells me, while walking at a speed I can hardly keep up with. And she spoke about the blisters she has! It surely made me believe she was able to run a farm in Northern Canada on her own. "It was minus 20 just before I left. Maybe I should go and live in a warmer place, I have time to think about it now."

The surfer

The old hotel owner sits down and starts talking to me. It's not easy to follow his rapid Spanish. He points at a Japanese boy, surfing the net and typing on his cellphone: "That's not a true pilgrim. He's not really here." This man in his late seventies has walked the Camino many times. Meanwhile he has run a flourishing family business, offering all sorts of accommodation for poor and rich pilgrims. He is very dedicated to the Camino spirit. Is it true what he says?




Two out of numerous inspiring encounters with other walkers from all over the world.

Is it not possible to be a true pilgrim if you never walk alone, have your luggage transported, stay in hotels, when you cycle, and so on. Opinions that are frequently heard along the Camino (I'm not free of these sort of thoughts either!). But what could you know about someone's deeper thoughts if you don't look them in the eyes properly, and listen?




No comments:

Post a Comment